Immunity is the body’s natural response to protect and maintain homeostasis in all the systems. Immunity is generated through the immune system which consists of the spleen, antibodies, lymphatic system, etc which is solely responsible to fight infections. In this blog, we will learn how we can boost our immunity with Ayurveda.
There are two main types of immunity, namely,
- Specific – It is the adaptive type of immunity which is also known as acquired immunity. This is usually done by vaccinations against specific diseases.
- Non-Specific – It is the genetic or natural type which we are born with. It is also known as innate immunity. This type can be boosted and preserved.
Symptoms of Low immunity:
- Autoimmune diseases
- Frequent illness
- Chronic Fatigue
Ayurveda mainly works on preserving and boosting the non-specific type of immunity. Following a disciplined routine and active lifestyle is highly recommended in Ayurveda. Healthy guidelines to improve immunity can be through various ways such as,
- Diet:A healthy diet rich in Vitamin C, antioxidants and other nutrients is essential to improve the immune system. Top foods which are recommended are – Citrus fruits such as Oranges, Amla, Grapefruit, lemon etc.
- Herbs:Ayurveda recommends having regular consumption of herbs in cooking such as Ginger, Garlic, Turmeric and Cumin. Various types of healthy teas such as Green tea, lemon-ginger tea, Tulsi tea is beneficial. Other herbs in the form of extracts such as Guduchi, Ashwagandha and Amla are useful.
- Lifestyle:Regular exercise at least for 30 mins in a day is recommended. A combination of cardio, strength training and Yoga is beneficial. Yoga and Pranayama together helps to effectively reduce stress and helps the immune system to regain its health.
- Sleep:Sleep is one of the most neglected factors when immunity is considered. Research has proved that a sound sleep of 7-8 hours is essential to keep the immune system healthy. A good rest is essential to reset the body clock and improve the functioning of the nervous system also.