As the weather gets warmer for Summer, everyone may be outside more often to enjoy the outdoors! However, there may be more insects and bugs outside as well. In this case, it’s crucial to keep the pests away as bug bites are often annoying and painful. Try this homemade natural bug spray solution instead of purchasing commercial formulas and dousing your body with dangerous chemicals.
This homemade natural bug spray will also help prevent any adverse side effects from dangerous chemicals . In addition, this natural remedy is also efficient and affordable!
Knowing Your Enemy
Bugs have a way of finding us quickly the moment we are outside. Many of these pests trace us through our exhaled carbon dioxide, aroma, body temperature, vibration, and colors. For example, deerflies are drawn to CO2, warmth, action, and dark hues. Thus, avoid using scented soaps, moisturizers, fragrances, and hairspray.
Here is a short list of natural repellents per insect:
- Citronella, lemon eucalyptus, basil, and garlic repel mosquitoes.
- Mint, basil, and bay are repulsive to ants and flies.
- Citronella, lemongrass, and rose geranium are effective repellents for little gnats (like No-See-Ums).
- Lemon eucalyptus and geranium are repellents to ticks and lice.
The Best Natural Insect Repellent Ingredients
The most dreaded and bothersome summertime guest, mosquitoes, might be repelled with several natural alternatives.
Natural insect repellents prevent mosquitoes, flies, gnats, ticks, and lice from landing on the skin using fragrances (such as herbs).
Citronella- Lemon eucalyptus and lemongrass are sources of citronella. It is a well-known substance for deterring flies, fleas, aphids, and mosquitoes. Citronella essential oil, containing citronellol and geraniol content, is a component in today’s insect spray recipe from Plant Therapy. This helps to keep mosquitoes away.
Lemon Eucalyptus Oil- This is among the most popular natural insect repellents and is endorsed by the CDC. This option uses natural resources the longest and works to keep mosquitoes, lice, and ticks away.
Lavender- Growing lavender in your yard throughout the summer is a lovely idea, especially near meeting places like patios. Fortunately, bugs like mosquitoes and gnats detest the sweet scent of lavender.
Catnip- The plant catnip has recently gained much attention for its capacity to repel insects. This herb is simple to grow throughout the summer and may be used to generate a natural insect spraying with essential oil.
Peppermint and Rosemary- Flies don’t like the perfume of peppermint, while mosquitoes don’t enjoy the fragrance of rosemary. Therefore, both of these scents will be effective in repelling flies and mosquitoes from your yard.
Recipe for Homemade Natural Bug Spray
- Witch hazel, half cup
- a half cup of apple cider vinegar
- Oils necessary for 40 drops (a mix of citronella, lemongrass, eucalyptus, and rosemary)
- one glass spray bottle, 8 ounces
- In an 8-ounce glass spray container, combine witch hazel, apple cider vinegar, and aromatic oils.
- Shake firmly.
- Spray all over the body, but keep the repellent out of your face and eyes.
Additional Natural Defenses Against Bug Bites
Remove areas of standing water: Look around the home for any spots where there is standing water, such as in buckets or flower pots. Mosquitoes are drawn to standing water, wherein they lay eggs. Drain and remove these areas with standing water.
Add herbs to your campfire : Add spices to your bonfire in the evening to ward off mosquitoes with their powerful aroma.
Grow your garden: Plant Catnip, Rosemary, and Mint, among other herbs, all-around your garden in the summer to ward off insects with their fragrant foliage.
- Be mindful that some herbs and oils may cause irritation or injury. For example, lemon eucalyptus shouldn’t apply to infants younger than three years old, pregnant women, or nursing mothers.
- Avoid pennyroyal during pregnancy.
- Before applying homemade insect spray more widely, test it for any potential adverse responses.
- Vinegar-based sprays may react painfully on your skin and have a pickle-like scent while they’re still wet.
- Oils may cause clothes stains.
Want to have a perfect dessert! Here is the Recipe for Coconut Barfi.