Bulletproof Coffee is a beverage of popular demand amongst health enthusiasts trying to lose weight by fad diets such as Keto/ Paleo or Intermittent fasting. This is a variation of black coffee with added MCT that is, Medium Chain Triglyceride oil derived from coconut and Ghee.
- Black coffee (French press/filter) – 1 tsp
- Cow Ghee (home-made preferred) – 1 tsp
- Coconut Oil (MCT oil) – 1 tsp
The first step is to brew the coffee. Filter or French Press, any method as per your choice.
Blend the coffee, MCT oil, and Ghee in a blender and serve.
Health Benefits of Bulletproof Coffee:
Drinking coffee in moderation is beneficial with health benefits such as increased concentration and focus. Bulletproof Coffee is a variation of black coffee that contains fats and nutrients essential for the body. Yet, the consumption of even Bulletproof coffee should be limited to obtain its health benefits. A few common health benefits are:
- Coffee by itself is an antioxidant. As per Keto diet promoters, this coffee does not contain carbohydrates but only has fats which fits the criteria of Keto diet. The body converts the MCT oil and Ghee into ketones.
- This coffee also helps to curb hunger pangs and prevents binge eating. It is usually consumed as a replacement to breakfast.
- Due to presence of healthy fats, such as MCT and Ghee, nutrients such as Vitamin D and Omega Fatty acids help to improve absorption.
Ayurveda’s take on Bulletproof Coffee:
Ayurveda puts Coffee in a Pitta-increasing food category even if it is consumed without the added fats. Ghee is a Pitta reducing super food hence individuals with Pitta Prakriti or those who consume more than 3 cups of black coffee daily will benefit the best with Ghee Coffee. Though Ayurveda does not recommend consuming this beverage daily, yet it can be enjoyed occasionally.
The Final Verdict:
There is no recommendation for daily consumption of Bulletproof coffee, and health enthusiasts must limit their consumption.