‘Detox’ is a commonly used word in today’s urban dictionary. 80% of the youth is promoting Detox and aiming for a healthier living. Detox is more than just a fad health trend; it is highly useful to promote good health in the long run. With the help of Ayurveda, here is how to detox your body naturally.
Ayurveda initiated the process of detoxification which is the removal of Ama (undigested food, toxins) from the body. This process can be done in many ways as per one’s health issues and goals, under expert guidance. Ayurveda recommends two main types of detoxification processes:
- Panchakarma – 5 full body cleansing procedures, namely, Vamana, Virechana, Basti, Nasya and Raktamokshana.
- Dietary detox – Fasting at specific time intervals (Intermittent), intake of easy to digest diet as per health status.
Panchakarma is a detox procedure that is ideally carried out under the supervision of an Ayurveda doctor and is more of a therapeutic set of actions. On the other hand, a dietary detox which is a common health trend can be done by anyone after understanding the respective health goals.
Benefits of Detox:
- Clears out Ama that is an inflammatory waste product of digestion. This clears out the channels for microcirculation.
- Nutrients from food are better absorbed after the process of detoxification.
- Significant but healthy weight and fat loss.
- Improved energy levels.
- Improved digestion and metabolism.
- The feeling of overall health and well-being is achieved.
- A glass of warm water to begin the day.
- 30 mins of regular physical exercise, especially Yoga is beneficial.
- Making lunch the biggest meal of the day.
- Having a small cup of warm water 20 mins after having heavy meals.
- Intermittent fasting which focuses on early dinner and not binging on snacks at night is useful.
- Inclusion of foods such as Papaya, watermelon, Muskmelon, Apples, banana help to regulate the bowel movement well.
- A cup of warm milk as nightcap also works as a natural laxative and promotes detox.
- Practicing mindfulness exercises, Pranayama with proper breath control helps to reduce stress and boosts detox.
- A new form of Detox – Digital Detox could also be practiced in which all electronic gadgets should be switched off 30 mins before turning in for the night. This will promote a restful sleep.